SAP & rules
SAP and rules
We use the emagixx business rule system for complex warehouse data streams (ETL processes) in the iControl environment.
Why is a business rule system necessary?
- Operative data are often unsuitable for direct use in the data warehouse.
- For a meaningful evaluation, it must be possible for the content of the data to be interpreted.
- Customised data preparation techniques are sometimes required for data from standard operational systems (such as SAP R/3).
- Customer-specific knowledge of the data often has to be used in the data preparation stage to ensure that the statements received in the data warehouse are correct.
Preparing and validating data with the business rule system:
The system is responsible for preparing/validating operational data taken from ERP systems (such as SAP R/3) for business intelligence solutions. The standard rule system both guarantees the security and reliability of the data flow into the data warehouse and reduces the complexity of the project to a minimum. The incoming data is not altered in the transformation process, but supplemented with key figures and calculated fields etc., depending on the particular rule-based condition.
The benefits of the business rule system:
- Rules can be compiled rapidly; changes are easy to implement.
- High data throughput.
- No programming is required.
- Description of the relationship between key figures and threshold values.
- No job control system is needed for rule evaluation.
- The system determines the ideal calculation method automatically.
- Available on various platforms.
- Multiprocessor support.
- Extensive logging options for rule checking.
- Tried-and-tested system; release support.
- Straightforward maintenance.
- Automatic documentation.
- Exceptionally low follow-up costs (low total cost of ownership).
- Harmonisation/standardisation: data/currency format, quantity/purchase units.
- Detecting improvements in data quality (validation); filtering and cleaning up errors.
- Integrating data from other sources.
- Aggregating, precompressing and calculating key figures.
- Classification, recoding.
- Observing semantic/contentual conditions; business transaction statuses, e.g. cancellation, partial delivery.
The business rule system for OLAP is ideal for preparing SAP R/3 data. Our pre-compiled sets of data preparation rules allow projects to be completed in much less time. This rule engine functions as a ‘data bridge’ between ERP systems and iControl and is a high-performance turnkey OLAP solution for an SAP environment.